Minutes 6 April 2017

MINUTES OF RICHARDS CASTLE (HEREFORDSHIRE) PARISH COUNCIL MEETING HELD AT THE VILLAGE HALL AT 7.30 PM ON THURSDAY 6 APRIL 2017

PRESENT Mr S Broom (Chairman); Mr A Davies; Mr S Greetham; and Mr R Alden.

IN ATTENDANCE Ward Cllr. S Bowen; and Mr R Hewitt, Clerk. There were no members of the public present.

17/01 Apologies for absence – Mr P Owen (Vice Chairman).

17/02 Co-opt two new members – Postponed to the next meeting.

17/03 Declarations of Interest and Requests for Dispensation – Cllr. Alden declared a disclosable pecuniary interest in planning applications 170647 and 170774 Land at Spout House Field, and planning application 170622 The Poplars.

17/04 Minutes of the previous meetings – The minutes of the meetings held on 26 January and 23 February 2017 were approved and signed as a correct record.

17/05 Local policing – There was no report on local policing.

17/06 Report from Herefordshire Councillor for Bircher Ward – Ward Cllr. Bowen said the new university has received funding of £8 million from the Local Enterprise Partnership, and is likely to receive £15 million from the Department for Education. Franklin House in Hereford will probably be used by the university. Blueschool House has structural problems which will need to be fixed. The plan is for there to be 500 students within 2-3 years, and numbers will increase to several thousand. There will be a need to provide student accommodation, and Ward Cllr. Bowen is pressing for the funds raised through the smallholdings sale to be used for this purpose.

The link road in Hereford, which will connect Aylestone Hill to the Edgar Street roundabout, and will include a new bus station, is slightly behind schedule, but should be completed by early 2018. A multi-storey car park may be built on the site of the existing bus station.

The Hereford Area Plan can be seen at The Courtyard this week. The plans include a bypass for Hereford which will run from the A49 above Holmer past Wyevale to Belmont, where it will link with the new road to Rotherwas. The bypass is expected to be built by 2022.

The B4362 at Comberton should be resurfaced in the summer. The A4110 between Lawton’s Cross and Shirlheath will be resurfaced shortly, and the road at Bircher has just been resurfaced. Ward Cllr. Bowen said he is urging that the £8 million from the legal award, once it has been paid, is used to improve the roads. Within Richards Castle, Cllr. Bowen said he is batting for Castle Road, Orchard Rise and Woodhouse Lane.

Children’s Services are now in the top quartile in the country, a vast improvement from a few years ago. The Director of Children’s Services has just retired. The Corporate Delivery Plan has been completed. Bus services will continue to be supported at current levels. Ludlow Town Council is to provide £2,000 to support the 490 bus service, which now runs straight through to Hereford.

17/07 To invite views and discussion from members of the parish – There were no members of the public present.

17/08 Neighbourhood Development Plan – The parish council reviewed the Examiner’s Report on the Neighbourhood Development Plan, and supported the response of the steering group. The recommended modifications in the Examiner’s Report are supported, and the neighbourhood development plan should go forward to the next stage.

Publishing an information leaflet, as proposed by the steering group, to raise awareness of the referendum was agreed. The leaflet will be delivered to households. Copies of the neighbourhood development plan will be made available to interested members of the public in the same way as was done during the Regulation 14 consultation.

17/09 Planning

[Cllr. Alden left the meeting.]

170647 Land at Spout House Field, Richards Castle, SY8 4EW – Proposed erection of four dwellings. The parish council agreed to support the planning application, and noted that there have been no representations received from members of the public. Planners are asked to note the name of the adjacent property to the north west of the site should be Spout House rather than ‘Cookditch Cottage’ as shown on the site plan.

170774 Land at Spout House Field, Richards Castle, SY8 4EW – Application for approval of reserved matters following outline approval (152296). The parish council agreed to support the planning application, and noted that there have been no representations received from members of the public. Planners are asked to note the name of the adjacent property to the north west of the site should be Spout House rather than ‘Cookditch Cottage’ as shown on the site plan.

170622 The Poplars, Richards Castle, SY8 4EL – Demolition of existing single storey extension and creation of new single storey extensions, including sun room and new access off existing highway. The planning application was supported.

[Cllr. Alden rejoined the meeting.]

Update on planning decisions by Herefordshire Council – 163982 The Rock has been given planning permission.

17/10 Financial Items
a) The following payments were agreed: Hitrees, install village signs x3 (£270.00); Hitrees, lengthsman (£666.00); Herefordshire Council, lengthsman/ P3 footpaths grant overpayment (£107,463.98); Balfour Beatty, SID hire (£180.00); Herefordshire Council, 490 bus service contribution, January-March 2017 (£250.00); Eyelid Productions, annual website support 2017-18 (£100.00); The Clerk, wages January-March 2017 (£323.36); HMRC, PAYE to 5 April 2017 (£80.80); the Clerk, expenses, September 2016-March 2017 (£113.09); and R Bayliss, footpaths maintenance £268.94).

The meeting agreed to ask the Clerk to attend training on the newsletter capabilities of the parish council website at Eyelid Productions. Eyelid Productions will provide up to 2 hours training at a cost of £60.00.

17/11 Proposal for the parish council to repair minor potholes – The parish council agreed to increase the lengthsman budget by £1,000 in 2017-18 to allow for the repair of minor potholes. The Clerk will contact Balfour Beatty to update the Annual Maintenance Plan 2017-18 to include participation in the enhanced lengthsman scheme, which permits the repair of minor potholes. The potholes to repair are agreed with the locality steward.

17/12 Petition to demand action to bring the roads in the parish up to an acceptable standard – The meeting agreed the text of the petition. Parish councillors will ask residents to support the petition, and deliver the neighbourhood plan information leaflet at the same time. A notice will be submitted to Castle News to let residents know about the petition, which will be presented to Herefordshire Council.

17/13 Blind summit on the B4361 through the village – The parish council noted that Balfour Beatty has said flashing lights are not possible as there is no record of a history of collisions on the summit. In addition, the summit has slow down signs drawn on the road as well as 30 mph decals and dragons teeth at the start of the speed limit. It was agreed to take no further action for the time being.

17/14 Review requirement for additional road name signs in the parish – The parish council agreed to request a quotation from Balfour Beatty to erect a new fingerpost at Rock crossroads to mark Woodhouse Lane. The Clerk will confirm whether Woodhouse Lane is on both sides of the crossroads, in the same way as Castle Road.

17/15 Reports from parish councillor representatives
a) Appoint representative to the Parochial Church Council (PCC). It was agreed to leave this position vacant until new councillors have joined the parish council.
b) Neighbourhood Plan: The report was provided under 17/08 above.
c) Footpaths: Cllr. Alden said two stiles have been replaced, and in one instance a local landowner has kindly agreed to contribute £59.00 towards the cost of the work.
d) Lengthsman: Cllr. Greetham said a meeting has been scheduled with the lengthsman to plan work for 2017-18, including the tree on the green at the top of Orchard Rise.
e) Highways: Cllr. Greetham said he has been in contact with Balfour Beatty in response to the latest resurfacing programme update. The petition will hopefully lead to some resurfacing work being done on parish roads.
f) Village hall: The Chairman said five boxes of parish council minutes and other documents stored by a former councillor will be collected. The Clerk will ask Herefordshire Archives if they would like to keep the records.

17/16 Schedule of meetings – The dates of meetings to November 2017 were agreed: The Joint Annual Parish Meeting will be on Monday 22 May 2017; the Annual Meeting will be on Thursday, 25 May 2017; and parish council meetings are scheduled for Thursday, 27 July; Thursday 12 October; and Thursday, 23 November 2017.

17/17 Code of conduct consultation – Noted.

17/18 Clerk’s Report – Yarpole Group Parish Council has submitted their neighbourhood development plan for Regulation 16 consultation. Balfour Beatty has been asked to quote on the cost of a new village name sign with ‘Please Drive Carefully’ so that there are village signs on both sides of the B4361 from the direction of Orleton. A fallen tree on Woodhouse Lane was reported to Balfour Beatty.

17/19 Matters raised for next meeting (no discussion) – Good Neighbour scheme, and quotation for new fingerpost on Rock crossroads signpost.

17/20 The Joint Annual Parish Meeting will be on Monday 22 May 2017.

The meeting closed at 9.35pm.